[meteorite-list] Vancouver Meteorite Boom Friday

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:55:31 -0500

Hi,

     Regarding your #2, the "Siberian guy" was named
Semenov. He was at a trading station (Vanavara?), sitting
on the front porch facing the impact site. His (white) shirt
did NOT catch fire. When the light and shock from the
impact reached him, he was rocked back in the chair
before he leapt up slapping at his shirt, which he was
sure was "on fire," based on the (infrared) intensity
he felt. The shirt was not on fire but was very warm.

    His face felt like he had "looked into a stove," painfully
hot, but was not burned nor reddened. Since the U. S.
Navy used infrared light on volunteers to establish the
pain scale used by doctors today (bad kidney stone wins
with a 10), we can closely estimate the infrared flux he
received at that distance, a valuable clue to the total energy
of the blast. (The distance was 43 miles, but you have to
double-check all reported distances in Tunguska reports,
as the Russians actually measured distances at that time
in "versts," not identical to a Western mile, but usually
translated to English by the word "mile.")

    Tungus herders at 24-25 miles from the blast suffered
deaths and injuries, almost entirely from blast effects. The
forest was eradicated, burnt and flattened out to 15 miles
(except where sheltered by the topography); herds and
herders at 15-18 miles were never seen again.

    At fifteen miles your cotton shirt would have caught fire;
at ten miles, your hair and exposed skin would have been
burned and blistered; at five to seven miles... yes, your skin
would be burned, but the shock wave would have stripped
it right off your body, so... sort of irrelevant.

    Tunguska stories are like fish stories; they improve with
every telling.

Sterling K. Webb