[meteorite-list] GPS

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:00:34 -0700 (PDT)

All the Rino units save for the 110(which still has the world wide city database) have base street maps installed and the 130 and 130/530 have both altimeters and have a GPS based compass. One more reason I like Rino is many first responders have then and one never knows when that would assist in rescue.

I believe the Rino130 also has a built-in thermometer and I do like having the weather radio channels built in as it is one less object to carry. Ditto for the GPS radio. Cell phones are good but there are a lot of remote areas which lack coverage--nuff said

 Once I settled on my package I stopped keeping up with GPS trends so beyond what I know about my preferences I am not consumer currant. Most GPS altimeter capabilities are based on 3D GPS. There may be some electronic altimeter units like found in the wristwatch models. Maybe someone else knows. I should think most GPS's with altimeter and topo maps also allow you to create a altitude profile routes.

While very light and compact, I found the original stand alone yellow eTrex unit(under $100) a bit "under featured" for my needs but the blue eTrex( I forget the model name) improved model is a Rino 120 or 130 without the radio as I understand and has a worldwide database of cities making route planing easier.

As for power consumption, one never knows if their unit really meets specs so I just keep an ongoing supply depot of them in my truck box. I've never run the batteries down on any one day so can speak to operating times.

Most all newer units allow you to import and export routes and waypoints so if you are hunting an area with a buddy on alternate weekends you can email each other your tracks/waypoints.

Whichever unit you decide on, you want to pay attention to the chipset/ channel capability and power consumption specs. The 12 channel receivers are fast on getting a fix when first powered up. The older 2 and 4 channel recievers can take several minutes depending on how far you've traveled since last powerdown. Plus the more recent units with the "GPS on a chip" innards allow much longer operating times.

As far as what I recall you've either got Magellan or Garmin basically for full features vs cost and I am not sure their topo map data bases are interchangeable. I know Garmin also sells blue(water/fishing) charts.

I dislike TomTom and most Garmin vehicle navagation systems for a sundry of reasons because you have to activate and reactivate the maps everytime you reinstall them, BTW.

I know some members here use hand-helds with larger and/or color displays and would be nice to know their preferences.

Elton