[meteorite-list] How 'bout a Wise meteorite?

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 10:04:49 EDT

Okay...this is what I get out of this event. First of all, it occurred
while the Lyrid meteor shower is active and the radiant was still up. So it
could be a Lyrid, although this "Major" shower isn't all that major every
year, but still active. The Lyrids peak around April 21/22. Lyrid or not, I
get the impression that it was of short duration and moved relatively
fast...that is not an earthgrazer. I interpret this from the statement that says,
"brief spectacle" and "the fireball streaked down on an easterly arc".
These also make me want to lean in the direction that it could be a Lyrid. The
Lyrids have a relatively fast entry velocity of 48 km/s. Lyrid or sporadic,
I get the impression that it was cometary material all the same. Thus too
fast for a meteorite dropping object made up of stronger asteroidal
material. I recognize the often typical witness statement of "...at what appeared
to be just a few hundred feet above the terrain." Which often means to
them that it landed just right over yonder or something like that. In actuality
 this object was probably at least a hundred miles away. When a meteor
appears to be "streaking down" near the horizon, it's either a long ways off or
should be producing sonic booms for someone to report followed by a large
impact. So...my overall impression is that it was a nice show for the Ooo
and Ahhher's, but not a meteorite dropper. :O)
GeoZay

**************Check all of your email inboxes from anywhere on the web.
Try the new Email Toolbar now!
(http://toolbar.aol.com/mail/download.html?ncid=txtlnkusdown00000027)