[meteorite-list] Austin Video

From: greg stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.news8austin.com/content/headlines/?ArID=237666&SecID=2

Planetarium honors photojournalist's meteorite video
4/12/2009 12:18 PM
By: News 8 Austin Staff

A piece of footage got national attention, and last night, it got News 8 photojournalist Eddie Garcia an award at a star-studded evening.

        Parts of the meteorite were found scattered around Texas.
The video was shot by Garcia during the Austin Marathon Feb. 15, and was first thought to be satellite debris but later it was discovered to be a meteorite falling to earth.

Parts of the meteorite were found scattered around Texas.

Garcia's footage was honored by the Austin Planetarium and News 8 was given a plaque with mounted pieces of the meteorite.

Organizers of the event said Garcia's footage was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

"Sometimes we hit something bigger, and this one was indeed a lot bigger," Austin Planetarium Executive Director Torvald Hessel said. "And we were able to see it during daylight, and that made it very special. What made it incredibly special was that it was caught on camera."

The footage captured by Garcia is believed to be the only news footage of the meteorite caught on tape.

Saturday night's event wrapped up with both a silent and live auction to raise money for the planetarium.

- Greg Stanley