[meteorite-list] Black Diamonds: A interesting PBS NOVA article

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 15:02:50 -0500

Hi, Marc, List,

I'm not competent enough in this area to
have an opinion worth much but I find it
difficult to imagine how a loose, open crystal
structure, amorphous hexacrystalline carbon
could form "naturally" in the titanic pressures
at the depths where diamonds are made; I
always read it was 50 to 90 miles down.

On the other hand, it makes intuitive sense
it should happen in a zero-gee or low-gee
environment even if shock is involved. It also
spoils my picture of somebody landing on a
small asteroid and finding it to be one giant
diamond the size of Manhattan!

Or at least a diamond as big as the Ritz-Carlton
Hotel in Manhattan, a notion about diamond
size that occured long ago to F. Scott Fitzgerald
http://www.readbookonline.net/read/690/10627/
in his story "The Diamond As Big As The Ritz"
(1922).

Sterling K. Webb