[meteorite-list] US States & Fed Govt Laws regarding prospecting, hiking, ...

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:19:21 -0500

Hi Jerry and list,

I am not trying to be difficult, but when you say "preservation", how
does letting undiscovered irons rot away in the field amount to
preservation? Canyon Diablo was a massive impact event and there was
a considerable amount of material generated from it - I think there is
enough to sustain a limited campaign of responsible prospecting. This
would encourage the gathering and reporting of new find data and it
would generate new specimens for study and the marketplace. How many
"legal" individuals or teams are out gathering Canyon Diablo specimens
right now and what are they doing with them? Are they collecting new
specimens and "preserving" them?

If an individual is willing to demonstate good ethic and
responsibility by reporting find data and specimens, then where is the
harm in issuing permits? It wouldn't involve changing the law, the
provisions are already there for the permits - it's just a matter of
convincing someone to start issuing them. Wholesale and sloppy
prospecting of any kind (fossil, meteorite, mineral, etc) should be
discouraged and those types will break the law and ignore the rules
regardless of what the state or Fed says. If someone with a permit
starts selling their specimens as part of a business, then the permit
could be revoked. Abuse of the permit, not filling holes, leaving
gates open, dumping, etc, would also be considerd grounds for
revocation of permission.

Well, it's all daydreaming because it's not going to change
apparently. It's still legal to take photos, right? Or does that
require a permit too? ;)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG