[meteorite-list] US States & Fed Govt Laws regarding prospecting, hiking, ...

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 10:25:38 -0500

The thing is, plenty of people apparently ignore the laws and prospect
around Canyon Diablo. And what ruin has been brought upon the area
from it? An eBay search yields countless Diablo specimens of all
types available, starting at a nickel and running to hundreds of
dollars each. I doubt every single one of these specimens was
gathered before Barringer staked his claim, Bar T Bar established
their boundaries and the state of AZ placed the land in trust.
People, probably in considerable numbers, are illegally gathering
Diablos right now as we sit discussing this. Are ranchers losing
cattle left and right because of it? Is the desert around the crater
strewn with coke bottles and cigarette butts? Are people falling over
themselves and making the local paper on a daily basis or weekly
basis? Unless I am wrong (entirely likely!), the state allowing a few
dozen permits a year to gather meteorites wouldn't open the floodgates
to ruin. I guess what bothers me is the apparent arbitrary nature of
the prohibition. There are other areas of the country that are more
friendly towards non-commercial prospecting - Crater of Diamonds
Arkansas comes to mind.

I just wish there was some sane middle ground between rampant
prospecting and complete prohibition. Afterall, the science being
done at the crater is not curing cancer - it's rewriting impact
mechanics and it's related geological ramifications. Microscopic
Venusian fossils are not hiding in Diablo irons. The area around the
crater could be opened up a little without noticeable negative effect
I think. Those that would abuse that or ruin it for all of us, should
be deterred - not those who are willing to be responsible.

Well, like I said, it's all moot. It's off limits to anyone who
doesn't want to break the law.

Best regards,

MikeG