[meteorite-list] US States & Fed Govt Laws regarding prospecting, hiking, boondocking, stargazing, etc.

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 08:43:16 -0500

Hi Michael and list -

I have to agree with you on Meteor Crater not being accessible for
prospecting. A person or business should not be able to own a major
geological feature and deny access and/or use rights to everyone else.
 It's wrong on a deep level. I guess someone will be purchasing the
Mississippi River next and telling the rest of us to get our boats out
of it. ;)

At the same time, I don't know if governmental ownership is the right
answer either. Give a government a solid iron ball, and they'll find
a way to pollute it, mismanage it, or disrespect it. It's a pity
that there is no common sense/respect/decency between human beings
regarding the wonders of nature. It's a shame that some careless
hunters dug big holes in the desert and left them behind for cattle to
break legs in. It's a shame that some wealthy industrialist "bought"
a geological feature. It's a shame that people poach, trespass, and
deceive. However, it makes little sense to deny prospecting all
across the board because some lunkhead couldn't fill his holes when he
was done. "Leave no traces" is my ethic when it comes to hiking,
boondocking, camping, and all other interaction with nature - come and
go like the wind. And it's a shame that others can't follow that
ethic and have ruined it for many of us who would like to access/use
natural areas responsibly.

Well, I can rant and rail against it, but there is no fighting it.
The land around the crater for as far as the eye can see is
off-limits, as Ted Bunch said in his reply. It's either "Crater
People Land" or it's "Bar T Bar Ranch Land" (or some such) or it's
Arizona State Trust land, so the argument for or against it's use is a
moot one. Anyone can thumb their nose at the absurdity of it all, but
the risk is jail time, a fine, and a criminal record. I guess I could
whine about how unfair it is, but I should get in line behind the
indigenous peoples who owned that land for thousands of years before
caucasoid conquerors came and took possession by force. If I was
American Indian, my feelings would be more valid - as a descendent of
the conquerors, I have little room to complain I guess. (although the
part of me that is Cherokee indian is mildly outraged) ;)

"...and the sign said anybody caught trespassing will be arrested on sight
So I jumped on the fence and yelled at the crater cops, Hey! what
gives you the right
To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in
If God was here, he'd tell you to your face, man you're some kinda sinner...."

[/pontificate] [/high horse]

Momma didn't raise a fool and I've never seen the inside of a jail or
the wrong side of a judge, and I want to keep it that way. So, I'll
swallow my feelings and steer clear of the crater. I'll go visit like
every other tourist, stay within the permitted areas, park where I am
supposed to, snap some photos, let out a sigh, and then leave.

So, of the areas I asked about, we have this -

1) Meteor Crater - NO prospecting, period.
2) Gold Basin - some areas (near the lake) are off-limits legally, but
the remainder is legal?
3) Nevada tends to be more lenient than Arizona?
4) BLM areas - enforcement or interpretation of the rules varies
according to what individual is administrator of that area?
5) Stay the heck out of Georgia. (cue the banjos)

So, what about - Franconia, Holbrook, and other well-known SW-US strewnfields?

And what about Texas? Does the recent West episode give the Texans
more reason to let hunters do their thing (with permission) .... ?
Are the old finds like Travis, Forestburg, Tulia, (and dozens of
others) all searched out?

Best regards, happy huntings and clear skies,

MikeG

PS - I have 3 auctions ending tonight - Lunar and Martian meteorite
display, Iron micromount assortment, and "exotic" micromount
assortment (Tata, Norton, Brahin, etc). 2 auctions are still under
$3.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/maypickle

On 4/3/09, Michael Bross <element33 at peconic.net> wrote:
> Hello MikeG and List
>
> This is a great idea. When looking at Iridium measuring/testing (haha :)) I
> stumbled upon a
> French metal detector website which summarized well enough laws and
> regulations
> pertaining to "hunting" on private or public land in France: national,
> regional etc...
>
> We know that laws can be "gray" to some extent, but still it is a good
> start.
>
> PS: this should be another thread, but how come a place like the Canyon
> Diablo
> Meteor Crater site is a private enterprise ?!
> I know we talk about USA but still... such a place should be State or
> Federal property, no ?!
> or did I not understand properly your post Mike ?
>
> Good evening everyone
>
> Michael B, France

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com