[meteorite-list] Suffolk man says he saw meteor hit

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 12:54:34 -0600

Well, "not a chance" isn't very scientific. I should have said "a really,
really, really small chance". And the chance I'm referring to is that he
witnessed an impact. From the description, it sounds like he saw some
flaming meteor splash into the water nearby, which just didn't happen.

I'd say he saw the meteor disappear below his local horizon, which would
have happened when the meteor was still many miles high, and therefore very
far from him- more than a hundred miles, maybe a lot more.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com