[meteorite-list] How about a thread to discuss hunting ethics - west

From: michael cottingham <mikewren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:56:20 -0700

Hello,

Not to get into this argument too deep, but I think you (Jason) are
leaving out a very important part of your pricing train of thought.
First, you got to hunt in an established strewn field, one that took
many people hundreds of hours to establish. There were many fields
that were searched with NO results. Those hunters in the first 10 days
did a lot of work to make it possible for people to come later and
find stones with a lot more ease. Also, I remember you asking the
list if you could get information to make it easier for you to find
stones, because you did not want to start from scratch. It was easier
for you than those in the first wave. Also, I met you on Mr. Enders
farm. The first and only pay to play game out there in the fields of
West. That pay to play thing at Enders was established by myself. I
taught Mr. Enders about meteorites, I raised the prices paid to him
and I got his fields open to over 50 meteorite hunters. I taught him
that it was best if he charged people $50.00 a day and set a gram
price for what they found. Mr Enders has made over ~$15,000.00 by
opening up his fields to us. Also, because of this pay to play thing,
over 100 stones were recovered over his property, so far. When I first
met him, he refused permission to let anyone hunt anymore on his land.
I spent over 3 hours teaching and establishing a framework for him.
One that seemed fair and good for all at the time. As a result,
several weeks later you and your father were able to go there, park
your car, have a base, and immediately begin hunting meteorites. Yes,
your cost per gram may be lower, but in reality, you had very little
time invested in your hunt. Just some thoughts...

Best Wishes

Michael