[meteorite-list] How about a thread to discuss hunting ethics - west

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 20:13:35 EDT

Jason,

Remind us all what weights you found and how much the trip cost you and your
dad, and the cost of the time your dad had to invest in lost Medical Doctor
wages to find what you guys found? OK, leave out of the formula what your
dad's time is worth, that is none of our business. Why don't you just figure
your time invested as being worth $15/hour, for the total cost.

Now, recalculate what your cost per gram would have been if you didn't find
your big rock, as few hunters were as lucky as you were in finding such a big
rock.

Also, break down what it cost YOU for your finds per gram and break down
what price per gram your dad paid for all of HIS grammage of rocks he found, if
you would for us?

By the way, how much are you willing to sell some of your specimens for?
Would you sell them for double your cost, for a not so "clinically insane"
price of say maybe $24/g? At that price, I might be a buyer.

Steve

In a message dated 4/2/2009 6:16:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time,