[meteorite-list] How about a thread to discuss hunting ethics

From: George Blahun Jr <ks1u_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 17:16:48 -0400

Mike:
      Thanks for sharing your experience and views. Your comments
really struck home for me. Many of us tend to think because we all
live in the USA that things are not that different a few hundred miles
in one direction or another. During the 1970s I hitch hiked and
hopped freight trains to see the US. The south was a harsh
dichotomy. On one hand, I met some of the nicest most trusting people
who opened their homes to me. On the other hand, I was shot at,
assaulted with bottles from passing cars, harassed and chased by law
enforcement. It was a quick lesson in cultural differences. While I
was not officially collecting meteorites back then, I learned very
quickly that wandering far from urban areas was done at great risk. I
have literally dozens of stories which people have a difficult time
believing, but your recent experience tells me that in many areas not
much has changed. This is why I eventually tried to restrict my
travels to as close to the coast as possible. Hopefully, others on
this list will take your warning seriously and not venture into any
area for which they don't have permission or any place that doesn't
want us. I for one am content to let residents of the stone age keep
to themselves.

George