[meteorite-list] How about a thread to discuss hunting ethics

From: greg stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

Listoids:

At the company where I work we deal with landowners frequently. We often need permission to install our equipment on their property. One thing I can say; they are all different. Some will charge us a fee and others will not. Some will refuse us to use their property altogether; this is rare though. We do write contracts and they are signed by both parties. Also, it is important to keep all agreements between the owners confidential. For instance, one owner may charge us $500 to install some equipment on there property, another only $100? and some don?t charge at all, you need to keep this confidential.

On thing to remember, it is their property and all meteorite hunters need to respect the owners and their property. When I was in West I talked to a few landowners that had issues with hunters so they stopped allowing people to hunt on their property. Remember? be honest and respectful. Others in West had liability issues (in case somebody gets hurt, the landowner could be sued), I told him ?write a contract,? but he responded by saying, ?ahh.. a lawyer and get around any contract.? So in some cases you just may not be able to change their mind and you may not be able too hunt.

Just remember? how you would feel if you saw some people on your property looking around with equipment in hand: I would certainly upset. And also, when in doubt? get permission. Don?t assume anything.

Just my two cents,

Greg Stanley