[meteorite-list] Fireball over Ohio

From: Charley <cmb62_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:52:24 -0400

Hi List,

This morning, while driving to work, I saw a beautiful green fireball.

Here are the details:

Time: 6:23 a.m. ET
My location: 40 deg, 25', 2.35" N , 82 deg, 46', 30.67" W (per Google
Earth)
I was westbound on Ohio 229 about 1 mile east of Marengo when I saw the
fireball. The road appears to be "true"east-west where I was located (again
per Google Earth)
It came from my "blind spot" (from behind and to my right) and appeared to
be traveling from Northeast to Southwest. I saw it for about 3 or 4 seconds
before it
quickly faded (there were no obstructions so it didn't go behind a tree or
building etc.)
It was approximately 25 deg high when it disappeared and about 5 degrees to
the right of my direction of travel (or at an approximate heading of 275
deg).
It was light green, very round, about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the full moon
and about 2/3 the brightness of the full moon. There were no sparks, trails
or smoke but it was dark
so if there was smoke I would not have been able to see it. The sky was
clear and sunrise occurred about an hour after I saw the fireball. I have no
idea if it was a meteor or
"space junk".

Did anyone else see it?

Best regards,