[meteorite-list] Cape York slice and NWA 4799 (AUB)

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2008 22:11:20 UT

Sunday, September 14, I wrote:

"... 61.4 g slice with a gorgeous troilite nodule smack in the center
of that beautiful slice and I got it! It should be in my mailbox Tuesday
or Wednesday and I can hardly wait to welcome it!

Well, I got it on Tuesday and that gorgeous troilite inclusion almost knocked
my socks off. It measures 23 x 16 mm and it is bulgy and slightly elongated.
Moreover, it is surrounded by a delicate rim of swathing kamacite.

I can't tell you how glad I am! It is such a unique highlight in my collection
of celestial messengers.

Today I also got my "only true NWA aubrite" - NWA 4799 from Greg Hup?.
Wow! It shows traces of fusion crust and it features a large enstatite grain that
measures 3.75 x 1.9 mm. There's another spectacular enstatite crystal, which is
2.75 mm long and 1.9 mm wide, elongated (lenticular like the GRS on Jupiter)
and it is traversed by several dark veinlets. There are even a few metal grains
and small patches of troilite!

Bernd