[meteorite-list] Carolina Bays

From: brian burrer <brimane_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:40:27 -0700

Darren and list members,

Thank you for the links to the Carolina bays article. I believe that
the researchers are probably onto something that will likely be the
cause for megafauna extinction.

The sterile layer (devoid of cultural remains) above the Clovis layer
that exsists in Texas Clovis sites such as the Gault site has always
troubled me. This layer can be a few feet in depth and seems to
indicate a rather long hiatus of human activity in places where the
rest of the record is rich in cultural debutage. Recently I read
somewhere of micro-craters on some megafauna horn sheaths and other
bones in Alaska. All of this evidence seems to be pointing at a
cosmic calamity being a likely death-knell for the big game hunted by
early Americans and probably more than a few of the Clovis people
themselves. While diesease and overhunting could push species to
extinction they do not explain the break in the cultural record.

I am a new 'list' member who specializes in tektites- Bediasites in
particular. I have hunted them for almost two decades and have found
between seven and eight hundred specimens and one Georgiaite. More on
that later.

Maybe Chicken Little was right...

Cheers, Brian