[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day -September 4, 2008

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 21:31:42 -0400

Michael & All,
I have no doubt that this one will be trumped in size on an official basis
at some point, but rumors of a 64 kg stone that never surfaced, photos of a
~ 10 kg specimen that broke into pieces on impact and several others I've
heard haven't materialized yet. "Main mass" is another of those terms that
has a bit of an overly broad application, anyway, and I'm with you that it's
just a nice complete chondrite if nothing else. Another angle or two are
shown here: http://www.fallingrocks.com/Collections/Bassikounou.htm. This
point re: main masses might actually make for an interesting thread here.
My feeling has always been -- given that it really doesn't matter all that
much to start -- that the largest intact mass recovered from a fall (or
surviving slicing, etc.) is the main mass. But, to provide a recent
example, the 17 kg Chergach which was broken into two pieces on impact has
been officially labeled the main mass over the 14 kg individual, which is
the largest intact mass. Again, it doesn't matter much really, but which one
should it be (that is, of course, before photos of a 90 kg Chergach specimen
from overseas showing signs of lunar inclusions in the breccia start
circulating across the internet)? And, for the most part, though certainly
not in every case, "main mass" is a bit of an overstatement to say the least
for NWA classifications yet they are aggressively marketed in that way all
of the time. Look forward to some thoughts/comments on this one...could be
an interesting topic.
All best, and welcome home, Michael,
Dave