[meteorite-list] Pallasovka Pallasite

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 03 Sep 2008 14:01:38 UT

Hello Sergey and List,

Yesterday I got my two Pallasovka slices (12.22 + 7.68 grams) that I had purchased
on EBay from Sergey. Thank you, Sergey for these pallasitic beauties with those
remarkably large olivine crystals!

Pallasovka is an interesting pallasite for several reasons:

1. Although it is a main group pallasite (MGP), its
chromites differ in composition from that of MGP's;

2. This PALLAS-ite fell near the town of PALLAS-ovka. This Russian
town was named after Simon Peter PALLAS => Krasnojarsk pallasite;

And now a personal observation of something I found in my 12.22-gram slice:

3. There are numerous bubbles (smaller and larger ones) in one of the olivine
crystals. The larger bubbles have an average diameter of 0.4 millimeters.

Question:

Has anyone ever noticed such bubbles in their Pallasovka or any other pallasite?

Sergey, you'll find a JPEG attached with this mail. If other list members would
like to see these bubbles, just let me know and I'll send you the pic I've taken
today. But give me a day or two. I may not be able to send it today as it is my
Pauline's 60th birthday and we will be celebrating at a restaurant tonight.

Best wishes,

Bernd