[meteorite-list] The Impire strikes dust

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 12:12:21 -0500

Hi, List

    The age of the Karin cluster of the Koronis
family is 5.75 ? 0.05 million years. This is very
young for an asteroidal breakup. The age was
determined in 2002, as described in this press
release from SwRI:
http://www.swri.org/9what/releases/2002/15asteroid.htm

    There's a good discussion here:
http://www.geotimes.org/june02/WebExtra0613.html

    The asteroid 832 Karin is less than 12 miles in
diameter, but was originally more than 20 miles
(33 kilometers). 832 Karin contains less than 20%
of the mass of the 40-to-90-member cluster:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karin_Cluster

    There is an ongoing argument about the spectral
characteristics of the surface of Karin. It is claimed
(by some and denied by others) that the surface shows
spectral variations with rotation, which would mean
that "space weathering" has not re-processed the
surface damaged by the impact. Here's one side:
http://apollo.cnuce.cnr.it/rossi/publications/Vernazza_etal_832Karin.pdf
And here's the other side:
http://sasakitakanori.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/karin_antarcticmeteorites_2004.pdf
(For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.)

    The Karin cluster is no longer the youngest asteroid
family. A small one derived from 1270 Datura is dated
to only 425,000 years old, and the 11-member Iannini
family is younger than 5 million years although the
exact age has not yet been determined. Cluster families
once thought to be much older -- the Veritas family was
dated at 80 million years old -- have been found to be
much younger (Veritas at 8.3 to 8.9 million years).

    One improvement in dating clusters has been the
ability to include the Yarkovsky and YORP effects
in the calculations. Here's a nice paper on Yarkovsky
and YORP effects on the dynamics of asteroid families:
http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FIAU%2FIAU2004_IAUC197%2FS1743921304008609a.pdf&code=a0c52e6d39bb0e22d298f403f4d38dc7

    The implication is that breakups are much more
frequent than formerly believed, that breakups continue
to happen and will happen in the (relatively) near
future, and that the solar system is not the quiet
orderly place we want to think it is. (It's the natural
inclination to say "Nothing happening here. Move
along. Nothing to see. Keep moving. Move along,
please...")

    We've had this argument right here on The List,
about whether the dust particles so easy to collect
are actually cosmic dust or industrial dust. Genge's
analysis bears directly on this. He is saying that the
particle size is so small that individual particles do
not constitute a valid sample of the source, but by
combining a full analyses of 600 particles into one
high-mass "sample," the cosmic origin becomes
clear and even precise as to asteroidal source type
(a methodologically appealing argument).

    I'm going to go sweep some asteroid dust off
my porch now, while I wait for the next big asteroid
breakup...

Sterling K. Webb