[meteorite-list] Need Help Destroying Earth - Who can suggest a good physics simulator?

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:28:14 -0500

OK, maybe not destroy earth. Just hurl things at it.

I need a computer model throwing a rock at the atmosphere at 20,000 mph and have an airflow simulator model its breakup and fall pattern. Then do it over and over again 100,000 times to do a monte carlo analysis.

The rock structure needs to be changeable, like highly veined incompetent rock, or competent Ni-Iron.

Angle and speed needs to be a variable also.

Model needs to accommodate friction and slag off. Although, we could cheat on this one and alter the rock structure to compensate.

Main goal, is to plot the landing zone of a flying gravel pit incoming at 20,000 mph

Any ideas where to start? There's probably a linux package that does something like this. However, the google searches I've done and SAL searches don't look promising.

SAL link http://sal.jyu.fi/index.shtml
shows science aps for Linux

-mt
IMCA 2760