[meteorite-list] South Pole Meteorite????????????

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:46:51 +0000

Here is another view of 76001 _at_ NIPR:

http://metdb.nipr.ac.jp/Data/ALH761/sALH-761.1-79_small_20082219597.jpg

The back has patches of crust, but doesn't look anything like the more fresh and intact crust on the eBay material in question. 76001 was a 20.1kg stone, so it is possible that it had a broken side. I'm away from my photographic catalogs, but maybe someone else can check their own. I believe either the Catalog of Yamato Meteorites or Photographic Catalog (1981) show the entire mass. I'll check when I get home...

Mike Bandli

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman at usgs.gov>