[meteorite-list] Micrograph Talk

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:42:14 EDT

Hi list,

Last week I offered a micrograph in full size to any one who wanted it. It
was a beauty of NWA 969 (LL7)and was about 3 mb in size. Since then, with
the help of Paul Harris (Meteorite Times) and Jeff Krosschell, I have changed
cameras to a Nikon CoolPix 8mp and have learned about mega pixels and mega
bytes. (It's not that the learning curve is so steep, it's that I'm so dense)

I would appreciate any one who is interested in this stuff or just curious
to let me know what they think. I have an image taken of the same feature
(for comparison) with this new set up.

I can send it embedded in an email, (the image size will be reduced). I
also have a 7.3 mb JPEG file or a 12.7 mb PNG file.

If you are interested, let me know which you would like. Most attempts to
send the PNG file have resulted in the returned email notice due to the size
being to big but that depends on your Internet account.

On a side note, Jeff Krosschell might not sound familiar to some of you. He
is a meteorite collector and dealer. In addition to his own inventory he
and his wife Malia are handling Adam Hupe's inventory. The thin sections I
have been working on were sent to me by Jeff and are out of Adam's stock. I
have examined 5 of these thin sections and I can say the quality is superb
(believe me, I have seen good and bad!). Jeff will be selling these thin
sections. He can be reached at jeffkrosschell at comcast.net

Thanks, Tom Phillips