[meteorite-list] A point of contention/question

From: Pete Shugar <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:06:36 -0500

On the one hand, there are rather stunning photos of a
very cratered Mercury and on the other side of us a very
pock-marked Mars. Both look like you couldn't even walk
a hundred feet in any direction without stepping in another crater.

1
 If they are so cratered from "meteorites" (was there an atmosphere?)
that they are everywhere, Would not the earth look the same-
excluding the drifting contental plates? I know there is a meteorite
for every wide spot in the road in West Texas. (I'm trying to
collect every one of them.)
2
 It would seem to me that almost anywhere that you wanted to go,
you could conceivably find a meteorite.
3
 Is the movement of the plates what keeps the earth's landscape
from looking like Mars or Mercury?
4
All the craters on earth are huge (the smallest that I know is Odessa
at a mere 550 feet). Actually there are 5 craters, making it a rather
complex system with the smallest at just over 22 feet, but it is a very
young
crater at ~50,000 years old about as old as is Canyon Diablo.
This excludes Carancus as I'm not convinced it is
a true crater.
Is there any evidence of micro sized craters? Maybe something on the
order of only 50 feet to maybe 100 feet across that is truly old?
Pete