[meteorite-list] NEW Lunar - NWA 4884

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:54:25 -0400

Dear List Members,

It is my pleasure to announce a NEW and unpaired lunar meteorite, NWA 4884.
I've waited over a year and a half to announce this little beauty. It is
classified as a Mingled Basalt-rich Breccia 'officially' accepted by the
NomComm.

NWA 4884 is a gorgeous new lunar meteorite found in the Sahara Desert in
early 2007. It consists of a single 42-gram, partially crusted stone and is
not paired to any other lunar meteorites, but is quite similar to Antarctic
meteorite QUE 94281, and both are mingled mare plus highlands breccias. NWA
4884 has large anorthositic clasts and abundant metal, most likely from
ancient impactors that pummeled the lunar surface.

Click here to view complete slice with large white anorthosite clast:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4884/nwa4884slice.jpg

Link to Washington University in St. Louis website with photos and
additional information: http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/stones/nwa4884.htm

If anyone is interested in one of the very few specimens, email me off list
for pricing and details.

Enjoy!
Greg

Greg Hupe