[meteorite-list] Argentine Campo Issue

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 19:03:13 -0800 (PST)

Hi List,

I am troubled to hear about this development and I feel bad that Eric
has been singled out by the authorities. My question is, how does
this differ from Gibeon. We didn't see Namibia going after people
overseas for selling on the internet. No offense to Argentina, but
don't they have bigger things to worry about? I can see busting some
exporter red-handed in Argentina trying to smuggle out tons of Campo,
but going after sellers on the internet who have never been to
Argentina? Frankly, I don't see how Argentina can compel citizens of
other nations to stop selling a commodity that is available on the
global market. This isn't cocaine or nuclear material we are talking
about, it's Campo meteorites for crying out loud. Canyon Diablo is
a good parallel here. It's illegal to prospect for meteorites
around the crater in Arizona, but the market is swollen with Diablo
irons. How does one determine which iron was legally prospected and
which was not? If the US justice authorities cannot or will not
tackle that similar issue, then I seriously doubt the Argentines are
going to sic Interpol on US eBay dealers or send Special Forces
snatch teams to Tucson to grab dealers and whisk them back to
Argentina for trial and flogging. It's patently absurd. But I feel
badly for Eric and whoever else this tragic-comic farce is going to
effect adversely.

So my burning question is, how worried does the average collector or kitchen-table dealer need to be? Should I stop offering Campos for
sale/trade to others online?

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/fine_meteorites_4_sale