[meteorite-list] Million Dollar Fake Meteorite Bust

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:40:15 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 11/4/08, Darren Garrison <cynapse at charter.net> wrote:

> From: Darren Garrison <cynapse at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Million Dollar Fake Meteorite Bust

> That story makes absolutely no sense as presented. There
> must either be some
> mistake an translating the currency ($4.5 million dollars?)
> or this substance is
> a bit more, well, new-ku-lar than meteoritic.

Agreed, this story doesn't add up. Nobody that fool enough would have access to that sort of cash (easily parted and all that).
Almost certainly more benign than nuclear but I suspect there's much more to this than meets the eye or made it to press.

I just shrug my shoulders and say, "oh well".
Assuming the $4.5m tag is accurate and the story is as simple as stated, at least it's a sum of money worth going to gaol for. Greed, as in most of these things would be the primary motivator, then.