[meteorite-list] Space junk - marine life - shame on NASA

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:50:27 -0800 (PST)

I think it's worth pointing out that this object would not pose a collision risk to anything in space. It would orbit in the vicinity of the ISS while it's altitude slowly decayed. Remember of course that the ISS needs its orbit boosing periodically to prevent it from suffering the same fate.
There was no environmental impact from Skylab, Mir or, tragically, Columbia so I don't think a small module is likely to cause too many problems. NASA are an easy target but I think they do a great job considering the political constraints they have to work under.
(I suppose I would say that. As a UK citizen, I'm not footing the bill)

Rob McCafferty