[meteorite-list] Space junk - marine life - shame on NASA

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 17:11:54 -0500

No problem Greg C. Ironically, I just posted based on the posts
(press!) your reply got on the list, and of course qualified it by
calling it "possible" so as to report rather than inject my opinion.
Had not yet seen your recent clarification in the flurry of responses.

NASA has done some shameful things, but if one points one specific out
in a judgemental way, we should be careful to be specific and check our
own sources and have a defensible argument. Thankfully this was not
one of NASA's blunders. In addition, if it is ISS related, NASA is not
alone, but rather part of an international team of accomplices and
taxpayers ;)

After being on the list longer, it seems friendly advice not to shame
anyone, including NASA, unless you're enjoying a heated exchange, the
list never fails, in which case it is nice to have reasonable facts to
back up claims, rather than just tough talk (not referring to you at
all with this). And the longer you are here the harder it will be for
anyone to peel off your own heat-shield tiles :)

Another ironic thing about the list, is ocassionally we lose new
members who attempt to start their own forum after they participate in
the heated exchanges and decide they can do a better job elsewhere on
the www. They then point to heated exchanges on the list and try to
draw list members by saying they moderate on their sites and the list
is a mess. Some dealers think this draws business away from them,
others are frustrated with all the places they must go for information.
  I truly hope you enjoy this list and contribute for our benefit, and
do not feel that way. This list is kinda fun in that respect, it is
peer reviewed by the best of the best - and that is the best it gets
for amateurs. Welcome to the list, and please be sure to encourage all
the meteorite people you know to use this great resource as a first
stop for their meteorite interests.

Best wishes
Doug