[meteorite-list] Just Another Question

From: Pete Shugar <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 19:09:51 -0500

So if an object were to be taken into orbit and given excape velosity from
earth's gravitational well such that it was not in orbit around earth, but
in orbit around the sun and at a later time reentered earth's gravity well,
passed thru the atmosphere and survived to impact the earth, it would not be
a meteorite simply because it was not ejected fron terra firma by natural
means? Granted that man made debri isn't classed as a meteorite but non man
made material shouldn't be penalized because an astronaught
decided to impart excape velosity to a rock,puting it into orbit around the
sun.
I say material surviving to impact from any source (excluding man made)
would and should be called a meteorite.
Pete