[meteorite-list] Greensburg hit by another tornado last night

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 15:03:05 -0500

Hi, Steve, List,

> What are the odds?

    The sad fact is that towns that have had one tornado
have an increased risk (30%) of having a second tornado
compared with towns that have never had a tornado, and
towns that have had two tornadoes have a still higher
risk (60%) of a repeat.

    I lived for a long time in a small (pop 1500) rural town
that had 3 tornadoes in 24 years (1924-1948). The climatic
patterns have apparently changed since that period, which
may be why the words "climate change" do not daunt me
that much.

    At one time, I owned three one-story buildings there,
all of which had once been two-story buildings! One used
to have a 5000-square-foot ballroom and theatre up top!

    They didn't rate tornadoes then, but the last of the three
tornadoes was at least an F5 by the objective definition.
(We had 80% destruction, 19 dead, 126 injured):
http://www.bhil.com/~bhlibrary/DH/TORNADO/family.jpg
http://www.bhil.com/~bhlibrary/DH/TORNADO/80.jpg

    It was like we didn't get the point the first two times...

    It's something to consider while pondering the decision as
to whether to stick and rebuild or to get out of the way. Or
maybe the climate will change.

Sterling K. Webb