[meteorite-list] Observed lunar meteorite impacts hit 100

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:27:01 +0100

Yes, Agreed the labels are useful, but isn't it time to have a (in a
Pluto-planet style controversial type way! ;) reclassification of names
debate?

 'Asteroid' usually means something in the asteroid belt.

'Comet' means, hmm what exactly does comet mean? - Ok yes an object on
eccentric orbit around sun, which outgasses..

'NEO' near earth asteroid, ok slight breach of the earlier definition
(like saying something is a far away from sun comet?)

See its all in a mess!!

I reckon we should be calling them all asteroids or something, and
comets should be re-labeled 'outgassing asteroids' or similar.

Or maybe micro-Planetoids...

Just a thought.

Mark Ford