[meteorite-list] Observed lunar meteorite impacts hit 100

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 04:10:59 -0700 (MST)

Hi Mark:

It comes down to location, location, location. Where did they from? Where
did they end up after the the Solar System settled down? How did they get
here?

Add to this the fact that there are "cometary asteroids," objects in the
asteroid belt that seem to have cometary behavior.

Yes, it is not all that simple. However, as Chris points out, most shower
meteors, based on orbits and velocities, clearly come from objects that
did not originate in the asteroid belt and so are cometary in origin.
There are exceptions and those are the interesting ones!