[meteorite-list] Observed lunar meteorite impacts hit 100

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:14:59 -0600

Hi Mark-

There have been a few meteorites that some have speculated might be
related to showers. But most likely, none are.

Nobody even really knows if asteroids and comets are all that different,
other than comets containing volatiles. Recently, it has been suggested
that a few objects we consider asteroids may in fact be burned out
comets. And nobody really knows if the rocky material in comets is
actually fragile at all.

The best argument against shower-origin meteorites is velocity: most
shower members are simply traveling too fast to avoid burning up high in
the atmosphere. The few showers that have slow components also, for the
most part, are low activity- barely above the sporadic background.

The way I'd start a serious investigation of this would be to compare
fall dates and times with low velocity showers. Where you have a match,
it might be worth trying to determine if witness reports of the fireball
suggest a direction that is at least reasonably consistent with the
shower radiant.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory