[meteorite-list] Super Nova

From: richard rumble <magic2u_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:18:53 -0400 (EDT)

I need some clarification and information from some of the brighter of you here on the list. I just read an article about the "newest" super nova in our galaxy... and the article says its about 140 years old. Fine.. Im good with that.. The article then says that it is located near the center of the galaxy... ok.. Im good with the science of finding stuff thats out of visual site by using X-ray, Radio wave and other technologies. My problem in understanding is that if it is near the CENTER of our Galaxy at 33,000 light years.. how can we have measured it at 140 years old? Wouldn't the energy released from it travel at the speed of light take 33,000 years to arrive here? Light.. or radio waves.. or gamma rays... don't they all move roughly at the speed of light.. ?

Just wondering..

Richard Rumble