[meteorite-list] What a surprise! (not)

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 23:31:55 -0400

"Actually cheaper to send overseas for less than one ounce packet, than
to send to my next door neighbor.
The US government shows us how smart it is again."

Hi Mike, List,

You're mixing apples and oranges. It should be cheaper, since when
does reason have place in corrupt systems of any nation? The US postal
service is only doing half the work for intentionsl shipments. They
put it on a cargo flight from their hub and forget about it.

Meanwhile in the USA they have a monopoly on home delivery so they milk
the cash cow, so why shouldn't you pay more? It's a US federal crime
for anyone to send regular mail through a private service for anyone to
offer the service, and for anyone else delivering anything to open
their sacred mailboxes - even though they are the homeowners' personal
property and expense. Only urgent mail is excluded from the monopoly;
provided the competing service charges at least twice as much. So next
time you are pissed about fedex, ups, dhl, etc., keep in mind that they
are more expensive because your government forces them to charge at
least twice as by law much AND denies them participation in the
economies of scale of the bulk of mailings.

Something to keep in mind next time you pat the USPS on the back for
being the cheapest of shipping options.

Going postal,
Doug