[meteorite-list] Bad Science on ancient meteorite impactor?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:22:23 -0500

Hi,

It's not an entirely new theory, exactly...

The pair are at the University of Bristol, UK:
http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2008/212017945233.html
Credentials of the authors are found on this page.

The press release is because it's one of a series of articles
in a forthcoming book that ties the 3123 BC event to myth,
Bible history, etc., so this is a book promo at heart. Read:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/kofels_asteroid/

There have been numerous "interpretations" of the meaning
of this tablet since Western publication 1880. These are
summarized here, with a excellent drawing of the tablet:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ioXXW15VWGgC&pg=PA156&lpg=PA156&dq=K8538+Planisphere&source=web&ots=EOIz7ZpM75&sig=rodh5jTEt4y08bFcTiBc_iNWpl8&hl=en
This 2006 book has a long and elaborate explanation of the
tablet that does not include any impactors.

A recent paper on Koefels uses to 10Be dating to determine the
giant landslide has a history of thousands of years of multiple landslides:
http://www.cosis.net/abstracts/EGU2007/02177/EGU2007-J-02177.pdf
However, the altitude makes the use of 10Be dating uncertain.

Here's an Austrian presentation of the feature. I note that they
mention that the landslide contains unexplained "fused rock"!
Hmmmm... How do you fuse rock in a slide?
http://info.tuwien.ac.at/geophysik/research/landslides/1997_pr01/structure/koefels.htm
It also states that the uncalibrated radiocarbon date is 8700 year BP.

Sumerian scholars are not overwhelmed by the new interpretation:
    "Academics were also quick to disagree with the findings, which
were published in A Sumerian Observation of the K?fels's Impact
Event. John Taylor, a retired expert in Near Eastern archaeology at
the British Museum, said there was no evidence that the ancient
Sumerians were able to make such accurate astronomical records,
while our knowledge of Sumerian language was incomplete. 'I remain
unconvinced by these results,' he added."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

This source discusses the state of quartz grains in the "landslip":
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=4934527

Here's a quote:
    "The crystalline quartz fragments in the pumice are severely
annealed and numerous tiny water bubbles are precipitated on
the dislocations. Pure silica glass is also detected between the
quartz grains. No defects characteristic of shock metamorphism
are detected although the landslide process must have released
an energy comparable with the impact of a large meteorite (?
30 m wide) reaching the earth at ? 20 km/s. Our observations
thus confirm that landslide processes release their energy much
more slowly than impacts in such a way that this energy is
dissipated in the form of heat without radiation or shock wave
effects. The pumiceous glass of K?fels formed by usual high-
temperature melting and not by shock metamorphism as previously
suggested by some authors."

As you can see, the suggest of an impact is not new. Personally,
I fail to see how a landslide could generate enough heat by friction
to melt quart into pure silica glass (like a tektite).

See, I started out sceptical, and now I'm not so sure...

This collector considers "k?felsite" as an impactite:
http://www.somerikko.net/collection/index.html
    "Age between 8000 and 16000 years is from glass.
Theory has been recently presented that k?fels has been
formed during a giant landslide about 9000 years ago.
That landslide was so huge that rock melted because
friction. So there is still a possibility that K?fels is not
an impact structure. However, there is lots of big landslides
in Alps but no other similar cases is found yet. Also PDF's
in quartz has been reported in samples from K?fels, and
PDF's are produced only by impacts. "
http://www.somerikko.net/old/geo/imp/refer.htm

There has been iridium analysis, but it's inconclusive.

I'm going to stop Googling now (2350 hits)

Sterling K. Webb