[meteorite-list] Meteorite market trends - a critical note

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:09:12 -0700

on 3/28/08 10:23 PM, GREG LINDH at geeg48 at msn.com wrote:
> Hi Darren,
> I couldn't agree with you more. I love meteorites just because of what they
> are.....rocks from space. I love all meteorites. I, like you, wish that
> everyone had access to tons of meteorites of all kinds....I love all of them.
> After a year and a half of collecting, my excitement for these rocks has not
> diminished. Even if I could find hundreds of meteorites surrounding my home
> here in Arizona, my love for them would remain.
> I'd like to see a "crash" also.
> To all of you dealers.....sorry, but that's how I feel.
> Greg Lindh
---
Hi Greg and all,
        I would not mind one iota if the meteorite market
"crashed".....PROVIDED it then remained stable. How
High or how low prices are has nothing to do with how
Much or how little money one can make selling meteorites.
        What DOES matter is value stability and a decent
Wholesale/retail market.
        If an item is 10c/g or $100/g makes no difference in
Terms of % profit upon sale. I would rather sell a collector
A great 500g specimen for $50 than a .5g specimen for $50.
What difference does it make to me?
        The big difference is the cheaper meteorites are, the
More material I can get for my own collection and the more
Variety of specimens I can afford to offer. Other than that,
"high" prices or "low" prices are all the same.
        I'm not sorry at all - I just would like STABILITY in
The meteorite market. Unfortunately, in all the years I have
Been collecting and dealing, stability is not one of the factors.
        Therefore, one has to constantly decide if buying now is
Cheaper than waiting or more expensive than waiting. There
Also is no predictor I can see that can tell one whether the
"future" price is going to last 4 months of 4 years or 40 years,
Except that the variables CONTINUE to change, themselves.
        For instance, we are seeing an increase in the number of
Collectors. That increase is likely, but not necessarily going
to continue. At least the total number can reasonably be depended
Upon not to decrease.
        Oh, well, more in my next column in a few days in METEORITE
TIMES.
        Michael