[meteorite-list] Time delay: Park Forest / Mar 01 Eyewitness Report

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:39:19 -0600

> Would a *multiple breakup* of the incoming meteoroid have a crucial
> "impact"
> on the respective parameters of the potential fall, or, in simple
> words, could a
> multiple disintegration of the meteoroid help in explaining the
> broadly diverging
> eyewitness reports?

I don't doubt that a more complex event will produce more divergent
reports. But more than anything, I think the wide variation is caused by
the simple fact that people are, in general, poor witnesses (something
that is well established in law and other areas). It's all the worse
when the event being reported on is brief, dramatic, and unexpected.

Time is of the essence in securing witness reports. People seem to play
the event over and over in their mind, and as they do so they fill in
many gaps in their actual observation. Unfortunately, what they fill the
gaps in with is largely fiction. You're far more likely to get good
information within the first few hours than you are after a few days.
This is really apparent in a situation like mine, where I have the
opportunity to compare witness reports to solid camera data.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com