[meteorite-list] Wanted to Buy : Superb Pallasite!

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:50:26 EDT

I agree with Adam, I have had bad luck with Fukang too.
Maybe it wasn't prepared correctly.

And sorry Mike, but I have always Quijingue in stock, I have only bought
pieces with nice bright crystals (take a look at my catalog), and I have had no
rust problems with that one. Of course I am further from the ocean than Adam,
but Colorado is not as dry as Arizona.

Anne M. Black
_www.IMPACTIKA.com_ (http://www.IMPACTIKA.com)
_IMPACTIKA at aol.com_ (mailto:IMPACTIKA at aol.com)
Vice-President, I.M.C.A. Inc.
_www.IMCA.cc_ (http://www.IMCA.cc)

-------
My experience with Pallasites have been:

I had a piece of Fukang deteriorate in a mere six
months. Some of the crystals became dislodged while
others bulged under the pressure of rust pushing them
out. Keep in mind that I live in a moist state and
only a few hundred feet from a salt water body named
the Puget Sound. The only pallasites that I have
possessed that hold up well under these conditions are
Esquel, Glorieta and Seymchan. I once had a huge
Brenham slice that was only held together by the
lacquer used to make it look better.

Stay away from meteorites that have lacquer coatings
as it actually traps moisture in the piece. There is
no substitute for a good polish which reduces surface
area. Rough surfaces trap moisture. Some apply lacquer
as a way to avoid the extra steps of a fine polish.

Best Regards,

Adam
--- mmorgan at mhmeteorites.com wrote:

> Also, I have seen Fukang for good prices. My piece
> is over 2 years old with no rust. The olivine is
> stunning. I am curious of other pieces of Fukang
> rusting badly?
> Matt

Home.