[meteorite-list] Further thoughts

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:07:50 -0400

Pete wrote:
"Some will be blown up and some will be blown down."

I believe this is a common misconception for many in the meteorite
community and common thought. I don't think anything is "blowing up".
Simply fragmenting. Each part of the original whole maintains its
portion of momentum upon fragmentation. The direction of the momentum
is along the angle of entry. There is no blowing up in that sense of a
bomb which propells fragments in all directions as there is no internal
source of energy (like in a chemical explosive). The only dispersion
will be caused by different frictional (aerodynamic effects) deviations
like sticking your hand out the car window and using yourwrist as an
aileron. If your fingers fell off your hand, there would be no
explosion, and nothing being blown forward either :-)

Best health, Doug
sorry - now caught up with the good replies on this topic, we just got
electricity internet, etc. back after the nuclear winter our city
experienced yesterday where we couldn't see the Sun on a clear day