[meteorite-list] Impact Duration Time

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:01:39 -0600

Strewn field shape is the product of two factors: (1) the meteoroid may
break up over a long distance, and (2) individual components are
distributed by wind during cold fall. In the first case, this breakup
may cover a lot of ground, but happens while the meteoroid is still
hypersonic. So no more than a few seconds separate the beginning and end
of the breakup. After that, everything is falling at the same rate, so
(in the absence of aerodynamic effects) will land at about the same
time. In the second case, wind only affects the horizontal velocity
component, so it has no effect on the landing time.

The only significant factor is the timing introduced by the terminal
velocities of the individual components. Given a reasonable range of
shapes and sizes, you might have some components falling at 50 m/s, and
others at 200 m/s. For a typical fall height, that means you could
reasonably expect as much as 5-10 minutes between the first and last
components reaching the ground.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory