[meteorite-list] Last Call for Alcohol

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:50:39 -0800 (PST)

Since I moved to New Zealand getting alcohol has been
a pain but when I lived in canada I could go to any
drug store and get it. They had 70% stuff on the shelf
and you had to get a licenced pharmacist to approve
you buying the 99% stuff which was kept behind the
counter. You got questioned about why you wanted it
before you could buy it - which resulted in strange
looks as a pharmasict who knew nothing about rocks
tried to understand why I wanted it.
Cutting with alcohol is excellent. You dont weather
the meteorite, make a clean quick cut, dont make a
mess and your blades last a long time. Very little
clean up afterwards (when compared to cutting with
water or oil).
The only downside I found is that you get a very
strong poisenous odor. I stopped using it because of
this but if you had a good mask and cut outside
(Preferably with a bit of wind to quickly drive the
fumes away from you) it would probably work well.
Probably wouldent be a good idea to cut indoors using
alcohol.
Thats my thoughts on cutting with alcohol anyway. I
loved using it except for the fumes. I never
experienced the spark/fire problem that adam mentioned
but that sounds like something to consider and might
be another reason to only cut outside.
Cheers
DEAN

--- McCartney Taylor <mccartney at blackbearddata.com>