[meteorite-list] Contest for Carancas meteorites and more!!

From: Joe Kerchner <illinoismeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 22:25:48 -0600

I want to announce the start of the contest for a piece of the
Carancas meteorite, and also may artifacts related to fall.
I hope everyone can enter and everyone has a good chance of winning.
There will be a 1st 2nd and 3rd prizes. They will be judged in the
order they are received. here is a link to the contest:

http://illinoismeteorites.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1204682221/22

Best of luck to all,
Joe Kerchner

To the great folks at SkyRock,

I am happy to announce the start of the contest.

INTRODUCTION:

This is a meteoritic treasure hunt to help SkyRock grow to be one of
the best forums on the Internet and to contribute in my own small way
to the hobby of meteoritics.

The contest is open to all and will be announced in a couple of other
small forums. For obvious reasons,
I must exclude full-time professional meteorite dealers.

The real prize will be an expanded appreciation for the science of
meteoritics along with the accumulated knowledge. You can do the
contest at your leisure and shouldn't take a great deal of time.

PRIZES:
Carancas meteorites, crater floor and ejecta material, hammer material
(roof section w/ impact eject) and assorted miscellaneous items. Some
of the items are not available anywhere elseand should, in time,
increase significantly in value. Great investment potential.

I have already donated almost ? of my entire Carancas collection to
various institutions and individuals. My wife and picked out three
beautiful stones for this contest and cringes everytime I make a
donation. Smiley

All are beautiful, fresh and loaded with fusion crust! Roll Eyes

1st prize ? 3 gm + (1.7 gm that you might want to sell or trade)
2nd prize ? 3 gm.
3rd prize ? 1.7 gm.

Prizes will be awarded to the highest scores and announced after the
contest end. Only one submission please. Scoring is based on accuracy
and completeness of answers.

Clue #1 - Most of the answers can be found in Skyrock, Nuggetshooter,
LPI, Wikipedia, Google Earth, and the Meteoritical Society website. A
couple of questions might involve a Google web search.

Clue #2 ? You can find pics of the misc. crater material if you have a
sense of HUMOR.

FIRST QUESTION SET:

What is the newest, freshest crater on earth?
Why are scientists saying this crater should have never happened?
What did they call it?
What is the largest witnessed stone fall?
What is the second?
What is the altitude of the record-breaking Carancas fall?
What is the size of the Carancas Crater? Water depth?
Where on Skyrock can you find a colorized drawing of the Carancas cr?ter?
Where on Skyrock can you find the eyewitness account to the Carancas fireball?
What was his name?
How did he describe the sounds of the fireball?
Since the fireball was traveling at 50x the speed of sound, how is
this possible?
Where can you find current scientific reports on the Carancas event?
What two South American institutions can you find Carancas reports?
Hint * Planetarium
What is the color of the door on the Carancas impact house?
How many animals were killed by the impact?
Approx how much ejecta hit the Carancas house? *hint photo in Skyrock

All of the remaining contest questions to be posted soon!