[meteorite-list] Impact material?

From: Larry Nichols <nicholslarry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:19:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Carl,

Thanks for your interest. I have posted this to the group as I beleive it is relevant to this topic. Randy also brought up the subject of streak tests. My opinion on this is that they cannot be very reliable since it is well known that ancient iron meteorites and pallasites weather away to hematite, magnetite and iron shale. Please allow me to reference:

Wolfe Creek Meteorite

Iron Meteorite (IIIB), Medium Octahedrite, Found: 1947, Latitude: 19 Deg 18 Min South, Longitude: 127 Deg 46 Min East, WESTERN AUSTRALIA.

Please note: Due to its exposure to the earthen elements for many thousands of years the meteorite iron has changed into hematite and has formed this meteorite shale balls. The material still reacts strongly to the magnet. In the center of some very large shale balls some un-altered iron has been found and an exact analysis of the meteorite at Wolfe Creek could be done.

Also: Concerning Wolfe Creek

Please note: Due to its many thousands of years exposed to the earthen elements, the meteorite iron has changed into hematite or meteorite shale. Only in very large shale balls tiny bits of un-altered iron has been found so this meteorite could be properly analysed. This meteorite shale is still strongly attracted by the magnet. A specimen not to be missed in any collection.

And again Huckita:

Huckitta, a stony iron pallasite was found in Australia in 1924. Huckitta is the largest pallasite known, weighing over 1400 kilograms. Virtually all of Huckitta which has been available on the collector market has been extremely oxidized with weathering altering the original nickel iron matrix to hematite and magnetite.

So in conclusion, If these are weathered meteorites, a streak test would not be very helpful in determining authenticity. That was my concern for trying to locate a larger mass that may still contain unaltered iron.

I thank all of you for the very helpful comments.

Best Regards,
Larry