[meteorite-list] Is this a meteorite

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 04:01:57 -0700 (PDT)

Before anyone falls on their sword over this specimen, note the gas channel/tube in the middle-- scraggy as it is, even Na tan isn't worm eaten!

It was my observation that, while many folks submitted lots of candidates which I enjoyed looking over, there were many subtle distinctions and outright differences that didn't match. The specimen "resembled" most of them but on closer viewing didn't "match" any of them. The most common feature was metallic luster but twasn't the same metallic luster on any of the photos.

Not trying to be pedantic but many times it is better to look for the differences in all the features(e.g. fracture, texture, crystal faces, etc.) It the specimens match there will be none.

I don't have a photo of metallic silicon handy but it too has subtle surface differences: it has a convex, undulating, fracture vs the flat banded fractures this specimen shows.

Up to this point, the gas channel most certainly points to a smelting product(aka slag or bad run) and, I would be comfortable saying that I know what it is not. The great part about all the photo sharing is we now have many more materials to compare when we are trying to identify a given specimen. Plus I wouldn't have totally blown that mesosiderite photo a few months back had I looked closer.

Thanks Bunches,
Elton

Elton