[meteorite-list] Landowner Lookup Question

From: David O Henderson <dhenderson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:50:10 -0400

I am a GIS person and handle most data for a lot of places. Its now amazing
what is online as far as county records in the US. Vertualy all states now
have a GIS database with landowner data bases. Texas is a good example. You
can usually just do a search on something like "delaware property tax
records" and it will come up for most States. There is almost a national
mandate to gather all the Data into GIS data and the 2010 census will use
that data to complete the census. While you will not have access to census
data the GIS information gathered is public information. If you check around
even most other countries are going to GIS systems and recording the same
type of information. A search of "GIS DATA" for the location will give you
tons of info. Not sure how many of you are using google earth but there is
also www.esri.com and then look ArcGIS Explorer. In a lot of areas
especially the west the resolution and data is far more extensive than
google. Using either one to mark your finds by lat and long is a great tool
to map with.
As more tools come out for GIS its going to be a great help to any of us who
are looking around. Unfortunately I live in Delaware USA so not a lot of
good hunting around here but have a ranch in Texas that I hope someday I
will have a chance to take some time and look over it is pretty big so that
is a retirement project.
Have fun researching

David O Henderson
Information Technology Director