[meteorite-list] Sigh

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 00:32:39 +0200

Well Darren,

to say it more diplomatically, the astrology of 20th and 21th century hasn't
much to do with the astrology of the 3000 years before.
Until the early modern period there was no distinction between astronomy and
astrology.
Today's astrology is a compared to old astrology extremely truncated, a poor
knock-off. The psychological "interpretation" and style, the reduction to
personal fates is a completely new invention.

...as well as the adding of the modern planets Uranus, Neptun and plutoid
Pluto (linguistic accident, what IAU produced there. Earthids Earth,
Mercury, Mars and Venus. Jupiteroid, Iovid Jupiter, Saturn...)and their
attributes.
Hey, I saw even horoscopes integrating Vesta!
Well the combination of the attributes of the classic planets, cold - hot,
fast - slow, dry - wet, was given by the distance of the spheres,
Soooo imagine now, one would use all the tens of thousands of known objects
from the asteroid belt for a horoscope!
Because they have more or less the same distances they would have all the
same astrological properties and effects, and they are quite even
distributed in the plane of ecliptic, moving with similar speeds.
Therefore no matter for which point of time or place of birth,
and because the thousands of asteroids would outweigh the few other planets,
- each and every horoscope would be absolutely uniform and the same!
And astrologist would be an even more comfort job, hehe...

What I wanted to say, the only justification astrology could have, is the
tradition and its history, but modern astrology had negated this only
straws.
And if someone, as it happened here in Europe, is just taking a very few
rules from an old Greco-islamic astrology manual, like you can find it in
the manuscripts collections of each university, and sells them in books as
an immemorial secret of old mountain farmers in some forgotten Tyrolean
valleys living with the Moon, to become a millionaire,
Then I'd say: It's a Big Cheat!

Best!
Martin

PS: Who will be soon the astrologer of the inhabitants of the arctic
circles. (Cause, hehe, if you take the method of Regiomontanus to draw the
great circles of the houses, there aren't directly many left for people born
in the high North or deep South - and they have all the same astrological
fate!)

PPS: Doug, I guess minimum 90% of all astrologers wouldn't be able to
identify the ecliptic, or even the major planets on the night sky.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----