[meteorite-list] Sigh

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:48:04 -0400

Darren wrote:
"Hopefully, your audience will include science teachers who know the
difference
between astronomy and astrology.

Hi Darren,

I'm sure she know the difference - you'd have to put both the teacher
and the writer of the article in the same room to debate. Then you
could be sure why the article was worded the way it was.

And besides, some of the greatest astronomers of all time were
astrologers, and the entire Cristian faith justified its begining with
an astrological signal among the WISE MEN ... a.k.a. ASTROLOGERS. To
them we owe our early understanding of the heavens and plenty more.

Sure it sounds about as dumb as calling a meteoriticist a
meteorologist. But it took meteorologists to set the foundation for
and beget meteoriticists.

Actually IMO modern day Nancy Reagan type astrologers, and only in my
very personal opinion, are the same as meteorite collectors that are
interested in collecting names of meteorites like stamps, wishing for a
Lunar fall in your back yard, and needing to own a piece of the rock
that fell on some anniversary.

I'm guilty of all three of the above in addition to possibly more
respectable scientific pursuits, plus many of the astrologer things,
like being blown away by a beautiful Crescent Moon next to Venus, and
getting rambunctious and silly whenever there is a full Moon blazing
above a country horizon.

It's easy for city folk to laugh at that under muddied skies they've
made - when they can't see the mountains or building five kilometers
away, but astrology has a very interesting history and we don't have to
be so harsh on the poor teacher who was set up by the naughty author of
the article. After all, it is what is in her heart that counts ... and
how well she motivates her kids to reach out ... something she seems to
be doing well judging by the comments ...

Or did the IAU in their "in-your-face" wisdom just outlaw astrologers,
too?

Best wishes,
Doug