[meteorite-list] AD : Sell/Trade Telescope Eyepieces for Meteorites/Cash

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:43:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

Attention fellow list members who are also stargazers.

I have some telescope gear that I would like to
convert
to meteorites - either directly via trade or by
selling
the gear to get cash to buy meteorites.

To avoid shipping hassles, I would prefer to deal with
someone in the US only at this time.

I'm flexible on my prices, so if something looks
interesting but my price is too high, make me a
reasonable offer. I am an experienced optics trader
and I flipped scopes to pay for my telescope
collection,
before I started collecting meteorites. So I know how
to pack fragile/valuable instruments for shipping.

1) Orion Stratus 13mm Widefield eyepiece. 1.25"
format,
20mm eye relief, 68 degree AFOV, well corrected, fully
multicoated. Excellent condition. Comes with both
end caps and drawstring bag. Asking $75 cash or
trade.

2) Celestron X-Cel 5mm eyepiece. 20mm eye relief,
1.25" format, fully multicoated. I'm not sure
what the AFOV is, but it's similar to a Plossl. This
is a good eyepiece at f/8 or slower. In faster
scopes,
it's pretty soft. In an Mak/SCT, this is a good cheap
alternative to a Radian. Asking $30 cash or trade.

3) Custom built hardwood tripod legs. 2" thick, made
of white ash, purple heart, and walnut.
Professionally
made by a friend of mine at my request - these are
beautiful and rock solid. Fixed-length, approx. 48"
tall. Metal spikes at the end of the legs. Nice
poly water resistant clearcoat finish. These will fit
all standard CG5/Vixen GP/SVP type mount hubs. I have
the 3 legs, a spreader tray (not clearcoated), and
hub bolts. Does NOT include the mount hub. All you
provide is your own mount. Upgrade those wobbly metal
legs to beautiful hardwood 2"-thick legs - these legs
eat vibration for lunch. I have mounted a 6" Mak and
Vixen SP/GP mount on these legs, and it was solid
without any shaking. In fit and finish, these legs
are as pretty as the Televue or Takahashi wood legs,
but sturdier. The leg length is perfect for short
tube telescopes. A pier-extension is recommended for
long tube scopes like slow refractors. Asking $250
shipped for the legs - due to shipping size.

I can provide photos of everything described here.
The tripod legs are SWEET. I have had this same
craftsman make an observing chair and a binocular
parallelogram mount for me - all have attracted a ton
of compliments everytime they are shown. He does good
work and has a waiting list.

I will take cash, but I will also entertain offers
in trade for meteorites. I'm looking for a large
pretty UNWA stone about the size of a baseball - it
must have some nice crust and/or wind polish at least,
no weathered-up caliche rocks. I'm also looking for
nice etched slices of finer octahedrites like Gibeon.
I also collect and sell micromounts, so I will buy
or trade for cutting crumbs of rare/unusual types.

Contact me off-list with offers or email me at the
following address - mike at galactic-stone.com

I prefer to use PayPal.

Thanks for looking and clear skies! :)

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/fine_meteorites_4_sale