[meteorite-list] Ensisheim: latest news

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:05:07 +0200

Hi list,

Some recent news about "Ensisheim 2008" that starts in 3 days from now,
this answering various requirements and questions I am currently receiving:

1) Weather forecast (reliability about 75%):
Today is ending the medium-cold & rainy wave (18?C) with a significant
temperature increase and clearing predicted for Wed. & Thu (for early-early
birds): 24?C, partly cloudy.
Friday: light morning rain possibilities and 23?C (71 F), so that the
dinner party could either be held outside (not very likely) or, more
probably in the famous cellar.
Saturday: 23?C, dry, partly cloudy, just appropriate for evening meals in
the outside tents, music and dancing activities on the main square.
Sunday: sunny and heat wave starting (27?C = about 81 F), extending on
Monday (29?C, thunderstorms possible) for those already heading to Ste
Marie, exploring wineyards or just visiting.

2) I had a contact with our friend Serge Afanasiev. He will be "free again"
from next November and so will be Slava Skorniakov. Both firmly expect
being our guests in 2009. Serge anounced that Dima Sadilenko and Sergey
Petukhov will be again representing Russia as dealers in Ensisheim 2008.
All tables are rented except 2 of them that are "on hold" (for 2 very last
minute participants who currently "forget to confirm"...(they are lucky
that our rules can sometimes be less rigid than elsewhere...selectively for
them! - hey folks, this is my last warning!)

3) So far I have 85 participants who reserved for the Friday dinner-party.
We can easily accomodate 95, as last year. This is my last call for a few
"lunatics" (never worry, Norbert, your place is firmly reserved...)

4) The thematic exhibit (meteorites from Russia and Eastern Europe) will be
greatly enhanced by some impressive meteorites brought by our
"brother-guardian" Sergey Sasiliev "from some private collections or museums".
Here is the list:

1. Brient (AEUC-P), 20.15g, two sides cut fragment w. some crust, label
from Moscow Academy of Sciences (MAS)
2. Chervony Kut (AEUC-M), 83.81g, complete slice with crust all around,
label MAS
3. Elenovka (L5), 52.4g, fragment with some crust, from private collector
4. Elga (IIE), 22.6g, etched block, from MAS but no label
5. Erevan (AHOW), 3.0g, partial slice w. some crust, label MAS
6. Glasatovo (H4), 8.8g, partial slice w. some crust, from private collector
7. Ivanovka (H5), 102.8g, partial slice w. some rusty crust, from MAS but
no label
8. Lipovsky (PAL), 262g, end cut w. some rusty crust, from Kharkov Univ.,
Ukraine, no label
9. Krasnojarsk (PAL-MG), 222g, one side cut fragment, from St.Petersburg
Mining Museum, no label but small number on the specimen
10. Krymka (LL3.1), 28.2g, end cut with crust, from private collector
11. Novo-Urei (AURE), 17.4g, slice, label MAS
12. Ochansk (H4), 1723.6g, complete stone with crust, label from Kazan
University, Russia
13. Padvarninkai (AEUC-M), 9.7g, partial slice with crust, label MAS
14. Pesyanoe (AUB), 48.5g, fragment with some crust, label MAS
15. Pomozdino (AEC-C), 30.56, almost complete slice w. crust, label MAS
16. Pervomaisky (L6), 836.4g, complete stone, label MAS
17. Vetluga (AEUC-M), 35.37g, partial slice w. crust, label MAS
18. Yurtuk (AHOW), 21.6g, half stone w. crust, from MAS but no label
19. Zhmenj (AHOW), 2.88g, partial slice, label MAS
20. Pavlovka (AHOW), 0.264g, fragment w. some crust, from private collector

Note many rare types (IIE, AEUC, AUB, AHOW...), odd provenances (Erevan,
Padvarninkai, Pavlovka, Zhmenj...), large "more common" pieces (262g
Lipovsky, 222 g (!) Krasnojarsk, or almost 2 kg of crusted Ochansk.
And who has ever seen a "giant" (48.5 g) Pesyanoe aubrite, a 17.4 g of
Novo-Urei or a 30.6 g complete slice of Pomozdino eucrite (tkw = 327 grams!) ?

Their exhibit will be completed by some less commonly seen pieces from
other collections, among which:

Augustinovka (45.1 g), Bachmut, 65.4 g), Braunau (6.65 g), Gressk (5.54 g),
Hraschina slice (3.1 g), Jelica (12.8 g), Khmelevka (11.6 g), Krymka (17.4
g), Kunashak (31.4 g), Kuznetsovo, a "hammer!,(7.8 g); Mez?-Madaras (3.5
g), Milena (15.2 g), Seel?sgen (64.1 g), Tabor (14 g), Tomakovka (15 g),
Tsarev (290 g), Vavilovka (9.7 g), Zaklodzie (14.1 g), and a pannel with
some very rare micromounts.

For sure, you will also see many weird shaped Sikhote-Alins, old Pultusks,
Brahins or that 918 g Seymchan with the outline of the "profile of Jacques
Chirac", a 333 g full slice of Vyatka, a nicely oriented (!) Morasko chunk
(253 g) or a very fresh 91.5 g Kainsaz resembling the recently admired "pic
of the day".

A few old Russian original meteorite books such as the treatises of
Stoikovich (1807), Mukhin (1819) or the more recently (1949), but still
famous piece of work of Krinov.

5) Consignment room/tables:
As every year, various collectors will present for sale some of the
threasures they have in collection.
This year we have 7 anonymous and one well identified collectors (me!) who
will offer quite interesting material.
Tektites from Paracale (rizalites), from Anda (old finds but recent
purchases - Feb. '08), Cambodia (with Khmer labels) and a large 406 g
splash disk of "Vietnamite" from Minh Phu (Yen Bai).
Many medium sized, some quite rare meteorites will be also displayed, along
with a couple of masterpieces such as:
- a 864 g full slice (280x180x3 mm) of the new Brenham find (all metal, no
olivine with nice schreibersite swords streaking the dominant octahedrite
pattern),
- a 718 g Mundrabilla troilite-filled full slice (210x110x9 mm) carrying an
1996 label of Robert Reeves collection.,
- a full slice (115x90x4 mm) 73.3 g of Allende from TCU,
- a 180 g end section of Capot Rey,
- a fully shield-oriented 173 g unclassified NWA found near Zagora in 2003,
etc.
A few books are also offered, among which the very searched for
"Meteoritenkunde" (1884-1905) by Cohen (Cohenite), 3 uncut (!) volumes. I
don't read German neither have an idea of the value of this treatise but
the (relatively) high price asked probably argues for something rare...

6) Friday trades:
Many asked whether transactions will start during the Friday tables setting
up by dealers.
We are sorry to confirm that, for obvious security reasons (significant
meteorites were stolen during tables arrangements last year!), the only
persons allowed to enter the Regency building are those carrying dealer's
badges. Badges are attributed only to persons who officially registered.
"Various dealer's friends" must be excluded if they don't wear their
(personal!) badge. Such "friends" were most probably involved in the
preceding year's notable thefths.
Transactions are allowed only outside the Regency rooms until the setting
up of tables is over (it ends at about 6:00 pm, just before the enthroning
ceremonies that are followed by the "friendly drink" also offered to
"friends and related"...).

7) No reason to exclude the overall appreciated funny atmosphere during
business parties

I'll be happy to continue answering specific questions or requests.

Thanks to all and happy hunting soon throughout the Regency Palace!

Zelimir

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Universit? de Haute Alsace
ENSCMu, Lab. GSEC,